Saturday, September 10, 2005

You've Arrived

First posted on September 10, 2005. Edited on April 2, 2007.

This is my first blog while in air – somewhere between San Jose and Phoenix on Southwest Airlines flight no. 2979.
Though I almost always switch on my laptop while in air, it is usually to play solitaire while pretending to work on some earth shattering research. Atleast, back home, in India, I used to manage a couple of appreciative glances from admiring folks awed by my commitment to the work that I was supposedly doing. The intense look on my face accompanied by an occasional frown used to be the perfect guise to look important and busy.
Today’s blog is about travel. The best thing about running your own company (which I used to) or being in an IT company at a managerial position (which I am) is the amount of flying miles that you tend to garner. More than the flying miles, I think the opportunity to visit new places and learn new things far outweigh the pains associated with the irritating check-in procedures and jet lags. While I’m on the topic of pains – can you believe that I’ve been pulled up for secondary screening at all the US airports that I’ve touched so far? Tall, dark and … lemme see … DANGEROUS???
Lets not digress. Here are the 3 key areas of learning while on the go -
1. Managing technology: It is surprising how complicated a simple water tap can get (or for that matter the shower knob). Yes, my dear friends, learning to navigate the technology behind using these taps has been the BIGGEST value-add (pardon the B-School jargon). The repertoire of options which come with these seemingly simple devices can be quite an intimidating proposition. Taps with multiple knobs, taps with single knob turning on different axes, round taps, automatic taps, square ones with twin knobs … the list is infinite. After being battered by ice cold, scalding hot, forceful jets of water – I can finally claim a fair degree of mastery over these nasty little #$@#@#.
2. Managing more technology: If you're as lazy as moi, you’ll definitely realize the importance of an alarm clock. Though my sweetheart used to act as one while I was in India, I make do with the ones that hotels provide by your bedside while being away from home. The good old grandpa key-clocks used to be epitomes of simplicity but the modern ones are quite ... hmmm … complex. My failure in this area has cost me quite dearly on more than one occasion. However, it’s heartening to know that I’m not the lone loser – in fact, the Hilton chain of hotels has engaged the services of a consultancy to make these tiny gadgets user friendly. Till then, I just have to bear with the blaring radio (they have them built into an alarm clock!!!) at the dead of the night.
3. Airline Food – isn’t that an oxymoron? This was precisely my attitude while downing curry rice and chicken nuggets on domestic sector flights in India. That was till I landed here in the US of A. To cut a very long story short, take it from me that the airline food there is much better than a “$30 chicken tikka masala and naan” dinner here. Btw, the airlines here don’t serve food on the flight though you can buy beer. People actually pack food in boxes and eat it while traveling – sure does remind one of the lunch breaks at school :)
And before I end this message, some lip service to the routine stuff – you also get to meet lots of new people, experience new places. … blah, blah, blah.
Additional note: There have been many queries about the origin of my latest instant messenger status – “Life’s a voyage that’s homeward bound”. Nothing profound behind it – just some good old homesickness.

2 Comments:

Blogger sidcruise said...

Wow You are able to blog AIRBORNE, sounds like fun ......

2:39 AM  
Blogger Bijoy said...

well its an excellent post you have here on , i really enjoyed reading it, will be back soon.Do keep up the good work
regards Biby - Blog

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home